Over 1500 students, staff, faculty and administrators in California higher education will gather from June 20-23, 2010 at the 9th annual California Higher Education Sustainability Conference at Los Angeles Trade-Technical College, to explore the ways in which we can implement social, environmental, and economic sustainability on our campuses statewide; prepare this generation for green collar jobs, and bring sustainability to campus practices, policies and contemporary culture.
Stories about LA read by your favorite design writers. FORM is a sponsor.
FORM audience 20% DISCOUNT regular tickets and de LaB Groupie tickets with the code: form
Join us for an evening of free expression and generous libation in celebration of LA's design culture at large.
Featuring stories about LA read by the city's leading writers on design and urbanism:
- KCRW's Frances Anderton on Living with Gehry
- A live "Ask Chris" session with Chris Nichols from Los Angeles Magazine
- John Chase laments the lack of fun-size Twix bars
- LA Creek Freak Joe Linton on the bridges we cross
- Ken Bernstein on hidden gems uncovered by Survey LA
- A parade of disturbing interiors from Marissa Gluck
- Architectural short fiction by Tom Marble
- Tibby Rothman's Untitled Art World Story
- Poetic stylings of gelato urbanist Alissa Walker
- Nick Adams, author of Making Friends with Black People
- Brooke Hodge from The New York Times' The Moment
- Los Angeles Times architecture critic Christopher Hawthorne
- Sam Lubell, California editor of The Architect's Newspaper
- Rico Gagliano and Brendan Newnam of The Dinner Party Download
- Editor-in-chief of GOOD Zach Frechette
- and letters to LA written by students from 826LA
- Hosted by de LaB's Haily Zaki, Alissa Walker and Marissa Gluck
The American Institute of Architects Los Angeles is pleased to announce the opening of the 2010 2x8 Student Exhibition on Saturday June 26, 2010 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. This year’s exhibition will be held in conjunction with Dwell on Design, the west coast’s largest modern design event, and Mobius LA.
2x8 is an annual exhibition sponsored by the AIA|LA, showcasing exemplary student work from architecture and design institutions throughout California. Each of the participating academic programs selects two projects that exemplify its core vision. The students’ design work will be judged by a noteworthy panel of architects and designers, who will then announce the winners at the exhibition opening and convene in a forum to discuss the successful work.
Design Green is a competition to honor projects that integrate exceptional design with new high performance standards for sustainability, LEED certified for their effectiveness, while redefining architecture.
Entry deadline: July 30, 2010. Visit AFLA's website for entry guidlines and more information.
AECOM has opened the Urban SOS: Transformations competition, offering US $20,000 in prize money for integrated design responses to sites in select global cities. The competition is open to students in the fields of architecture, urban and regional planning, urban design, landscape architecture, economics, environmental science, engineering, and related disciplines.
The submission period is open until July 31, 2010. Semi-finalists will be announced September 15, and the winner(s) will be announced November 5. Visit www.aecom.com/urbansos for complete submission requirements.